Thursday, April 8, 2010

Money can definitely make me happy

This news caught my attention today and reminded me of many debates I had with my friends, colleagues, near and dear ones.

Does money make me happy? - Yes, it definitely does!

And whats the big deal in honestly accepting it? Who says money cannot buy happiness? It definitely can!

The happiness is not only in material things. It is also in achieving the basic justifiable desires of one's life, e.g. education. Many people cannot pursue their desired education only because they do not have enough money. Once I had a debate with a friend on this topic,

Friend: We should not run behind money. If we earn money, its ok. Even otherwise, its fine.
Me: Do you think money is needed only for material things? Or in real life, is it really like a movie where the one who tries to earn money is of bad nature and the one who doesn't is of good nature.
Friend: But money is not everything is life..
Me: Definitely not! But suppose, tomorrow you have a kid, who wants to pursue medical education, will you be able to manage it in absence of good savings?
Friend: Ohh..I will take a loan then..
Me: If you have not earned enough to pledge anything, who will give you loan? And loan is not charity. You have to earn to repay it.
Friend: Well, although I will not have lot of money, I will have good friends, who will help me.
Me: On the contrary, suppose your friend asks you for some money, will you be able to give it without thinking twice?

And my friend was speechless!

I have seen many people arguing about the entrance fees in temples. Higher one pays, closer s/he can go. People say, "Yeah, what a bad time has come. Now, even seeing God requires money!" But it can be looked at in a different way. God says, "Endeavor to come close to me. Do hard work and then you will have the fortune to come closer"

Even to do something for the society, one needs money. I have a dream in life..to bear the expenses of a child's education. Right from the nursery to higher education. I will not be able to make it possible in absence of money. But when I do it, it will definitely bring happiness to that child and consequently to me.

But of course, I perfectly agree with what Lord Layard has said in that article,
"I certainly think that the relief of poverty is an incredibly important objective, but it shouldn't be done at any cost."
I only justify running behind money..legitimately!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Gouri I remember we having such a debate back when i came to visit u n Amit... well well i completely agree wid u here...very wisely and practically put...u hit the nail lady!! Let me phrase here as "If Happiness is the peak to be scaled, money is the offset" !!

    However, fortunately there is one thing in this world that still is free from money or anything else.... and that is true unconditional love for someone!! Hope all of us could find it before we die...without that money,success,etc. is all meaningless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the appreciation.
    But again, I feel 'unconditional love' is a very tricky term. It is something you want to give without expecting anything in return. But it doesn't discharge you of your responsibilities. You might not expect anything, but you would want to give all the imaginable happiness in this world to that person. You would want that person to live a good life. Is it really possible without money?
    I believe, unconditional love and money, both have got their own places in our life. None of them can replace the other one..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last sentence says it all...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had same feeling Long back yes money can and cant buy happiness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am too materialist to not agree with you..!!! Indeed money is needed to njoi life!!! :)

    http://verne10.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think earning money is not bad at all. But the true test is 2-fold. Every person needs to ask himself 2 questions
    1) Do I get a good sleep at night without getting nightmares about the tasks that I have done?

    2) Will my family support the source of my income, when they will know abt it

    If the answer to both is 'yes', then earning money is not bad

    ReplyDelete

Comments Welcomed...